Open Positions Available!
Click on the "submit your online application" link below to apply.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at War Memorial Hospital will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. War Memorial Hospital does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or any other classification in accordance with federal, state and local statutes, regulations and ordinances.
War Memorial Hospital is always seeking professional physicians to expand with our advanced medical center. If you did not see an opportunity in your field of expertise we still encourage you to submit your online application.
Status: Full Time
Category: Support Services
Department: Medical Records
Under the direction of the Health Information Management (HIM) Director, responsible for the assignment of ICD-9-CM/CPT-4 classification codes utilizing encoding and abstracting software. May have daily contact with physicians, physician office staff, and ancillary departments regarding documentation to support diagnoses and procedures. Abstracts data/information as required for reporting purposes. Entry level coding/abstracting assignments to advance coding skills. Assists with other technical/clerical duties of Coding and Health Information Management.
1. Must enroll in American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) coding program and have an expected completion within one year of date of hire OR be eligible to write the examination for one of the following credentials OR possess one of the following credentials:
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Professional Coder - Hospital (CPC-H)
- Certified Coding Specialist - Physician (CCS-P)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
2. Two years healthcare experience in a hospital/physician/health care setting which relates to medical records, admitting, nursing and/or coding preferred
3. High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associate Degree preferred.
4 Operating knowledge of basic business office machines, including personal computers. Experience using word processing, abstracting software and encoder/grouper preferred.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology required.
6. Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables where limited standardization may exist. Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in oral, written, schedule, diagram or conceptual form.
7. Possesses sound judgment to occasionally make important departmental decisions.
8. Ability to type at least 45 wpm
9. Must have the ability to work independently and organize work-flow with a minimum of supervision.
10. Ability to sit and stand for prolonged periods of time and be able to move intermittently throughout the day.
11. Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of people and have good telephone skills.
12. Must be able to speak the English language in an understandable manner.
13. Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
14. Must be able to see and hear, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to assure that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
15. Ability to lift, push and pull up to 20 pounds. Stooping, crouching and prolonged sitting required. Must be able to move intermittently throughout the day.
HR Contact: Dawn Parker
HR Phone: 906-253-1056
HR Email: Email
Reference Verification Forms
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at War Memorial Hospital. To access the required reference verification forms please click on the link below.